Monday, August 11, 2014

A Quilt for Gwen


My latest quilt was made for someone special (as most of my quilts are).  After lots of waiting, too many miscarriages, and countless prayers, my sweet niece Gwendolyn was born at the end of June.  


My brother and his wife, as well as the rest of our family, have been waiting for this beautiful baby girl for what feels like forever and we are so happy that she made it here safely!


Gwen's quilt started out as a charm pack of Bonnie and Camille's Scrumptious line.  As soon as I saw it, I thought of my sister in law Sydney.  She is bright and beautiful, just like these fabrics.  I used this method to make half square triangles and then sewed them together with sashing.


I made the quilt a little smaller than I usually would, thinking it would be a good size to take around, tuck in the carseat, etc.  My quilts aren't meant to be show quilts - I like them to be used and loved.


For the back, I decided to try a little improv piecing.  You can see it in the middle section.  It was fun to just start sewing away without a real end in mind.  


I quilted this blanket on my home machine using a walking foot and following the seam lines, trying to emphasize the triangles.  Then I finished it off with the little embroidery to make it just for baby Gwen.


Nothing like a good quilt roll all wrapped up and ready to go!  I still haven't had the chance to meet this little baby (darn med school taking my brother and fam to Chicago), but I love seeing pictures of her wrapped up in a quilt I made.  It makes me feel like I get to love on her a little bit from the distance.  Two and a half weeks until I get to hold that precious baby in my arms!

2 comments:

  1. This just made my day! We are so lucky to have such incredible family. Gwen is beyond lucky to have such an incredible aunt! This quilt is our most favorite and will be a treasure! We love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet. Baby and quilt look perfect!

    ReplyDelete